Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Letter From Molly/The Importance of Rescue

A Repost because it' important.


A Letter from Molly

Dear Chris,

You probably don't recognize me. My name is Molly, previously known as #A1599155. Three months ago, my days were spent peering out of a cold concrete cell, begging for a sign of interest from humans walking by. I heard the rumors and the whispers; I knew there was little chance I would make it out of there alive. After all, I'm getting to be quite old. I can no longer play fetch or run alongside a bike. I had only love to offer, which I knew was no more than my hundreds of barking neighbors were promising too. With each day that passed, my hope began to fade. I started to prepare myself for the inevitable. My cage mate, Princess Di, the friend with whom I had spent my life, was still hopeful. She still stood up, wagged her tail, put on a show, and tried to hide her arthritic pain when the humans would show up. I didn't have the heart to tell her she was probably wasting her time. We didn't understand why our owners left us there. We hoped they had a good reason.

I will never forget the day everything changed. A woman showed up outside our cage, and she paused. Most humans couldn't bear to look at us- we made them too sad- so I was suspicious. Why was she standing there for so long? Was this the end? I thought we had a few more days…I wasn't ready. Then, I heard her say the four most beautiful words I had ever heard: "I'll take them both."

Our shelter didn't get many visitors, so I was not surprised when an employee asked the woman why she came to see us. Her reply? "I saw them on Pet Pardons." She said that over 2,000 people were sharing a picture of me on something called Facebook. I still don't understand how they knew me, what made my story special, or why so many people worked together to save me, but I have since learned that it never would have happened if it weren't for you. To you, I am probably just one of tens of thousands of dogs you've heard were saved. My rescue may not seem special or out of the ordinary to you- why should it? But to me, you are the reason my best friend and I are still alive. You are the reason we are free. I don't know what you look like or where you are, but I think about you every day. Thank you for believing in me, in Princess Di, and in the thousands of other pets who have survived abandonment because of you.

With love,
Molly

-------------------------------------------------

This letter was written by Jessica Schlueter. It was inspired by the story of Molly & Princess Di, a bonded pair of seniors who were very reluctantly surrendered by their elderly owner, and whom were both subsequently rescued from death row by some very wonderful people that saw them on Pet Pardons.



Pet Pardons is a facebook app and soon to have a website presence if it is not already up and running.

No comments: