Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Remembering Thomas Hannafin

Kevin Hannafin was part of the search team at the WTC after the towers fell when the remains of several of ladder 5 were found. He said it was the proudest moment of life to carry his brother Thomas' helmet from the wreckage. Tommy had last been seen on the 37th floor of Tower 1.

Thomas Hannafin was a basketball player in high school and college. He was still such a good basketball player that he had won a gold medal earlier in 2001 at the three on three basketball competition World/Police Fire Department Games in Indianapolis. He had been a life long resident of Westerleigh on Staten Island.

In 2002, his wife Rene wrote this:

Babe,

For 18 and a half years, you were my strength, my hope, my one and only true love.

I will always cherish the memories we made together. You were my best friend when all else had failed around me.

You pulled me up when I was down and always made me laugh with one of your corny jokes. I can still hear you with that crying laughter that you and John would make, which I know he misses so much.

Most of all I remember your smile. It was so contagious and still is.

Kayla and Thomas miss you so much. Every day we talk about you, and remember the funny games that you would play with them. When I put them to bed at night, your watch beeps 10 minutes past the hour and when they hear it, they send you kisses and say how much they miss and love you. It breaks my heart every time.

Your family has been great to the kids and me. My mom and Jimmy miss you tremendously. And thanks, now I have to deal with them all by myself. Ha, ha! The guys at the firehouse have been wonderful, as you are well aware. Our friends and neighbors have been there for us every day.

Hun, I miss you so much and I wish I could turn back the hands of time, to hold you again and kiss your sweet lips.

"My heart will always belong to you."

Love,

Me

part of Project 2996

No comments: